So, with all the noise put out every time a crazed person plays “shootem’ up”, what is the inconvenient truth about guns and crimes? The media won’t ever tell you, so what to do?
Tabitha Bliss said it this way:
Do a little research!
– A study done by liberal Gary Kleck for Northwestern University School of Law, found that law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals 2.5 million times per year, (or 6,850 times a day).
– Guns in the US are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than they are to take lives.
– In the overwhelming majority of these cases, no blood is spilled. Merely showing the gun or firing a warning shot is enough. (The attacker is killed less than 8% of the time).
– About 200,000 women use a gun each year to defend themselves against rape or sexual abuse in the US.
– Even the anti-gun Clinton Justice Department’s research conceded guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. (The National Institute of Justice published this figure in 1997 as part of “Guns in America” — a study authored by noted anti-gun criminologists Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig.)
– Concealed Carry laws reduce crime. This is yet another area that’s been heavily researched & documented..
When concealed carry laws are relaxed, crime rates drop & the data shows this continues to be the trend. (I actually enjoy watching it take place in real time, after courts over-rule restrictive, state gun control laws.)
An excellent, comprehensive introduction to the phenomenon can be found in the book, “More Guns, Less Crime”, by John Lott.
The statistics also show the areas in the US with the most gun related violence & crime, are also the areas with the tightest firearm ownership restrictions.
– Armed citizens shoot and kill at least twice as many criminals as police do every year (1,527 to 606). Only 2% of civilian shootings involved an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal. The ‘error rate’ for the police, however, is 11%, more than 5 times as high.
– PoliceOne, whose 450,000 members make it the largest private organization of active and retired law-enforcement officers in the U.S. surveyed members last March asking, “What would help most in preventing large scale shootings in public?” The No. 1 answer was; “More permissive concealed carry policies for civilians.” (Followed by “More aggressive institutionalization for mentally ill persons.”)
– Another survey done by the National Association of Chiefs of Police of more than 20,000 chiefs of police and sheriffs found that 95% believed “any law-abiding citizen should be able to purchase a firearm for sport or self-defense.” 77% believed CC permits issued in one state should be honored by other states “in the way that drivers’ licenses are recognized through the country”—and that making citizens’ permits portable would “facilitate the violent crime-fighting potential of the professional law enforcement community.”
A few more studies that back this up are;
– Any CDC & FBI studies on private gun ownership, even those from anti-gun administrations.. (One only need extract the raw data collected, from the author(s) bias ‘narriative’ in the report to clearly see firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens are benefit to society.) (Obama’s latest CDC study that found gun owners are less likely to be hurt in the commission of a crime (against them), is one of my favorites.
– Leiden International Crime Victim Study
– The Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law,; “Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun”
– Congressional Research Study (2013); ‘Gun Control Legislation’
– Harvard Study; “Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?”
– Quinnipac Study; “An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates”
I happen to be someone who with my Mother, survived a home invasion & violent attack by a maniac hellbent on killing us both as a kid.
We were blessed enough that a firearm was there when it shouldn’t have been, (uncle left it behind) .. That mistake was a miracle because it was used to stop the attack when the cops weren’t even answering the phone.
I have been pro-2nd amendment ever since.
Afterwards, the cops investigating it said our only mistake was not ‘shooting to kill’ . They were correct because he did sue us for damages, but got nothing —(unless you want to count the prison time & a life-long messed up back where that bullet will remain, right in his @ss until the day he dies.)
On the bright side, he walks with a limp now & can’t do anything very physical, so he won’t be attacking
anyone like that ever again.
I am sick of liberals telling me that because criminals do violent things, I am not entitled to defend myself. On what planet does that make any sense?